A few weeks ago my son was being terribly bullied at school and was having a really bad time. His birthday was coming up and he mentioned that he might like a kitten. I went to get the kitten and found it came with a cat too! (Another much longer story) so they both came home and everybody in the house loves them. They soon settled into family life and Bella and Mittenz the Kittenz became our new residents at number 32.
Last Thursday I was playing with Mittenz and she scratched me, only a little bit and I thought nothing of it I have worked with animals for many years and owned them for even longer and have been scratched and bitten many times. The next morning the scratch had come up like a big red spot and my finger was really hurting, I went to work anyway and my boss commented that it looked angry. I thought perhaps I should get it looked at but was in two minds as it was only the size of a pea and felt a bit silly.
On the way home I pass the medical centre and decided to pop in and make an appointment anyway, just in case. As luck would have it they could see me after the next person. Great think I, I can get some antibiotics and get on with my day. The nurse had a look, asked me what had happened and wrote the prescription then popped out of the room to get a doctor to sign it. As luck would have it (again) the doctor knew that cat scratches can turn nasty and told the nurse she would sign the prescription but I must go to A&E immediately and to look for any tracking marks. This is when in poison moves back down from the site of infection to the body, it looks like inflamed angry veins. When she looked, it had already tracked back to my elbow within only 16 hours.
Off to hospital for me with Rob. All the way I was still in shock saying that surely it was a lot of fuss for a mere tiny scratch. When I got to triage the infection had tracked back half way to my shoulder and there was now talk of intravenous antibiotics. Great I hate needles but I was getting a bit panicky now so let the nurses do their work. The next step was the Doctor, when he got to me he basically told me I was going to be taken to theatre that evening to cut out the infection and would only be able to leave when the infection was under control.
I was admitted there and then! Rob went to pick the boys up from school and before I knew it they were visiting and all joking about deadly kittens! Rob took the boys after an hour and ten minutes later I was taken to theatre and under general anaesthetic (they were concerned about the infection getting into the bone) they removed it and I was soon awake and asking for food to be brought to me.
Luckily all the observations were ok as this was caught very quickly but I had a close shave. Since then I have heard horror stories about people not getting to a hospital quick enough and the result is kidney failure, sepsis, liver problems and all manner of other things including death. I can’t stress enough to people reading this how serious a scratch from a cat is, wash it immediately for at least half an hour. Don’t think you are being silly, the germs they carry on their claws are deadly.
“Angels walk amongst us every day and guide us”